Who We Are
We are an orthodontic group, founded by a team of specialist orthodontists and business professionals to provide business and management support to orthodontists and their practices.
We have an extensive track record of owning, managing and advising some of the most successful orthodontic practices across Australia. We therefore understand the issues facing today’s clinicians, and have developed a range of solutions to help overcome these challenges and enable doctors and practices to succeed on their terms.
Whether you are towards the latter stages of your career and are looking to transition towards retirement, an existing practice owner seeking management support or practice growth, or are searching for practice ownership opportunities and support, we can provide individually tailored solutions to help you achieve your goals.
Dr Grant Duncan (Chairman)
- Dr Duncan founded Smile Partners, and is one of Australia’s pre-eminent specialist orthodontists.
- He has over 35 years’ experience of owning, growing and managing orthodontic practices.
- Dr Duncan founded Straight Smile Centre (originally Duncan Orthodontics), based in Adelaide, in 1991. Under his management, the practice has grown to eight locations across Adelaide, and is recognised as one of the most successful and advanced specialist orthodontic practices in Australia.
- Dr Duncan is acknowledged to be one of the world’s leading Invisalign experts, and was amongst the first Doctors in Australia to be awarded Invisalign’s “Black Diamond Provider” status. His great passion is embracing emerging technologies, and harnessing them to improve clinical outcomes and patient experience.
- Member of the Australian Dental Association, the Australian Society of Orthodontists, the American Association of Orthodontists, the Royal Australian College of Dental Surgeons, the Pierre Fauchard Academy, and the International College of Dentists.
Jonathan Howarth (CEO)
- Alongside Dr Duncan, Jonathan founded Smile Partners in 2016 and has overseen its growth from nine clinics in South Australia and Victoria, to over 30 clinics across six states and territories.
- Previously, Jonathan was part of KPMG’s Advisory business in the UK, working in partnership with businesses of all sizes and across a range of sectors, including healthcare, with a key focus on providing strategic management support.
- Whilst leading the Smile Partners group as a whole, Jonathan takes primary responsibility for working with all orthodontists interested in joining the group to develop tailored solutions that suit their individual circumstances.
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland.
Andy Yeomans (COO)
- Andy joined Smile Partners in early 2018, and heads up the Group’s operations.
- Prior to joining Smile Partners, Andy spent over 10 years working in the Business Restructuring teams at PwC (London and Sydney) and PPB Advisory (Sydney) and three years at MLC, helping to develop succession solutions for Financial Planners.
- He has extensive experience in managing and advising business through periods of change, and improving their operations to enable sustainable growth.
- Having worked with many service businesses, Andy truly understands the value of the entire team to the patient outcome and experience. He specialises in managing, supporting and developing staff and teams to achieve the right outcome for the patients, for the business and for the people involved.
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales.
To provide all Australians with access to globally leading, specialist orthodontic care.
We strive to build strong and long-standing partnerships; between ourselves and our practices, between our practices and their communities, and between our doctors and their patients.
We treat each practice, doctor, staff member and patient that we work with as individuals. This means no standard solutions, imposed operating models, or fixed transition plans. Everything we do is individually tailored to each person and practice.
innovating to improve
We work with our practices to ensure that they remain at the cutting edge of orthodontics, both in clinical approach and via the use of new and developing technologies.
ensuring professional freedom
We ensure that our orthodontists have absolute professional freedom in their clinical methodologies, preferences and approach. Our orthodontic business support enables our doctors to focus on their area of expertise – treating patients – while we focus on the business management.
Orthodontic practices are an integral part of their community, having often treated generations of local families. We ensure this relationship continues with the practice, supporting local initiatives and patients.
Our group itself is a community of practices and doctors, encouraging collaboration through shared strategies, education and clinical mentoring.
The Smile Partners group comprises 35 specialist orthodontic clinics, located across six states and territories.
- Professional Freedom